FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Jul. 1, 2025
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Public Health (DPH) is highlighting its successes while celebrating its one-year anniversary as an agency on July 1.
“Our first year of DPH was packed with wins worth celebrating, challenges worth remembering, and, like a thread through it all, our vision of healthy people living in healthy communities,” said Dr. Edward Simmer, interim DPH director. “Of course, none of this would have happened without our dedicated team of amazing people who come to work every day focused on making the lives of South Carolinians healthier and better.”
Highlights from DPH’s first year include:
In its first year, DPH also continued to serve communities across South Carolina, hosting countless trainings, screenings, campaigns, clinics, inspections, in-home visits, community events and more – all ways DPH employees have their “boots on the ground” in every county to place great health outcomes within reach for South Carolina residents.
DPH recently launched a new video series to introduce our public health employees, partnerships and services to South Carolinians in quick, 60-second vignettes. The inaugural episode shines a light on the agency’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP-Ed) program and the work it does across the state to promote healthy eating habits, fitness and engaged communities to South Carolinians of all ages.
“Our one-year anniversary is an exciting milestone to reflect on the successes we’ve experienced so far, but it also provides us with an opportunity to look ahead as an agency,” Simmer said. “There is always more that can be done to improve the health of everyone living in our state, and our staff will continue to work diligently to improve and expand upon our programs to meet the unique needs of our communities as we move forward.”
To keep up with DPH news, programs and services, visit dph.sc.gov.
###
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Nov. 28, 2025
COLUMBIA, S.C. ― The South Carolina Department of Public Health (DPH) is reporting seven new cases of measles in the state since Tuesday, bringing the total number of cases in South Carolina related to the Upstate outbreak to 62 and the total number reported to DPH this year to 65.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Nov. 26, 2025
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The South Carolina Department of Public Health (DPH) confirmed that a raccoon and a skunk have tested positive for rabies in separate incidents.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Nov. 25, 2025
COLUMBIA, S.C. ― The South Carolina Department of Public Health (DPH) is reporting three new cases of measles in the state since Friday, bringing the total number of cases in South Carolina related to the Upstate outbreak to 55 and the total number reported to DPH this year to 58.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Nov. 25, 2025
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The South Carolina Department of Public Health (DPH) confirmed that a skunk found near Mile Creek Road and Double Tree Trail in Pickens, S.C., has tested positive for rabies. No people are known to have been exposed at this time. One dog was exposed and will be quarantined as required in the South Carolina Rabies Control Act.